Yesterday, Microsoft released Windows Management Framework 3.0 (includes PowerShell v3) for downlevel systems such as Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. This is a must have for anyone remotely interested in using PowerShell.
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 from here
- Uninstall any prerelease versions of WMF 3.0 (KB2506143 or KB2506146)
- Install appropriate WMF 3.0 package from here
Why bother? A few highlights:
- PowerShell ISE updates alone worth the update
- Updateable help
- CIM Cmdlets
- New language features
- Quick References from MS and PowerShell Magazine
- Technet Wiki on PowerShell v3 featured articles
If you haven’t already, pick up PowerShell v3 now and give it a go! If you are running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, you are already using PowerShell v3.
On a side note, Microsoft released Windows Server 2012 to Technet, MSDN, and for general availability yesterday. No word on availability through DreamSpark.